Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gnats and Roses

Last night, I sat around a table with six women I’d never met. We varied widely in age, race, interests, and socioeconomic status, but as we shared our stories, it became apparent that we’ve all lived parallel lives, marriage-wise. Each narrative was a painful lyric sung to a melody of fear, hurt, and shame.

One could argue the cause but the effect is blatantly obvious: even between the seven of us, we couldn’t amass enough self-worth, self-respect, and self-confidence to fit in a gnat’s backpack! Even so, somehow we’ve summoned just enough strength and faith to crawl out of the ruins and pull ourselves to our feet.

As I was driving away from last night’s meeting, I heard my now-favorite song on the radio: Rise (Link to song). It reminds me of my favorite verses in the Bible (see below), and besides, it's gnat-free.




He sent me to preach good news to the poor,
    heal the heartbroken,
Announce freedom to all captives,
    pardon all prisoners...
 And to comfort all who mourn,
To care for the needs of all who mourn in Zion,
    
give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes….
                                                --ISAIAH 61:1-4 (MSG)




No comments:

Post a Comment