Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Zigs and Zags


I fear that I may have given the wrong impression in last week’s Swish-Happy post. Yes, I love to cross-country ski, but I’m not a ski bunny.

Cross-country is a horizontal sport that requires a certain level of fitness but only the barest minimum of athleticism, courage, and fashion sense. Ski bunnies, on the other hand, are young, agile, daring, and, above all, stylish. Ski bunnies, unlike yours truly, don’t have panic attacks on chairlifts or ski over small children who fall down in front of them. Unlike me, ski bunnies haven’t snowplowed since kindergarten, and they zigzag effortlessly but rapidly down the slopes without even breaking a sweat in their chic, color-coordinated attire.

Two winters ago, I was on crutches with my knee heavily braced. While crutching around town, I was asked, on more than one occasion, if I’d hurt myself skiing. It seems that irrigation pipe lifting and cattle feeding mishaps are decidedly less glamorous than skiing accidents! Of all the witticisms I received, my favorite came from the butcher at our grocery store: “Looks like you zigged when you should have zagged!”

Nevertheless, our place is not without its snow beauties. Ziggy doesn’t carve zigzags down any Black Diamond slopes, but she is black with a cute zigzag down her nose.


“I do not participate in any sport with ambulances at the bottom of the hill.” ~Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment