Monday, December 17, 2012

Eighty Winks


Just like people, animals have routines. By mid-morning, just about every animal on this outfit is napping—the cat on the bed, the dog on the loveseat, the cows scattered here and there near the corrals, and the horses in the back pasture. My mare, Sugar, is the soundest snoozer of them all. She lies flat on her side, often with her legs stretched out straight like she’s got a good case of rigor mortis.

I bought Sugar when she was three. Just after I wrote the check and was handed the bill of sale, Hubby and I headed to her corral to catch her and take her home. When we got there, we both looked at each other and inhaled deeply. I’ll never forget my first thought: Great! I just bought a dead horse! Well, we figured out she was just napping, but she was sleeping so soundly that she was difficult to rouse.

We soon got used to Sugar’s daily super-siesta, but we forgot to tell our neighbors. One day while on a road trip, my cell phone rang. “Something’s wrong with Sugar!” my nearest neighbor wailed. “She’s stretched out stiff as a board! My daughter and I went over to check on her, but she just moans and groans!”
 
 
   "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” 
MATTHEW 11:28

 

No comments:

Post a Comment