Monday, July 15, 2013

The Sport of Gardening

Gardening is a diverse sport.

I know some master gardeners, cottage gardeners, and raised-bed gardeners. I am acquainted with herb gardeners, container gardeners, community gardeners, and butterfly gardeners. I have heard about victory gardeners, English gardeners, labyrinth gardeners, green wall gardeners, Zen rock gardeners, and xeriscapers.

I myself am a rose gardener, flower gardener, and basic, everyday vegetable gardener (of amateur rank, although I believe that I could grow zucchini at the professional level, if I applied myself).

One summer, I tried to be an upside-down gardener. Growing tomato plants upside down was purported to be easy and “ingenious”, but obviously I am no genius, since my endeavors proved largely fruitless!


 Striking shrub rose grown by a local master gardener


“For as the earth bursts with spring wildflowers,
    and as a garden cascades with blossoms,
So the Master, God, brings righteousness into full bloom
    and puts praise on display before the nations.” –
ISAIAH 61:11 (MSG)


No comments:

Post a Comment