Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fair Warning

In order to help control the flies in the goat barn, I purchased a fly trap at the farm supply store. It comes with a little vial of “attractant”, which, when added to water, lures the gullible insects to a watery death. The directions specified how to mix the attractant and hang the trap; however, they failed to mention the dangers involved.

Some of the attractant splashed on my shirt and hand. I didn’t smell anything at first, but soon I found myself thinking, What’s that smell? One of the cats must have left a dead mouse in here somewhere. Then I realized that the smell was emanating from my person! It seems that the fragrance that flies find most irresistible is eau de dead mouse—and they were all over me.

The stench so permeated my skin that after washing with three kinds of soap and a paste made from baking soda, my hand still smelled like dead mouse. I looked for a lemon to rub over my hand but settled for a lime. I sniffed. Now I smelled like a dead mouse marinated in lime juice!

In case you’re wondering: the trap works well, and hundreds of nasty flies have met their Waterloo in it. Nevertheless, the label should warn consumers of the olfactory risks!


“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.” –2 CORINTHIANS 2:14 (NASB)




No comments:

Post a Comment