Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Good Grief

According to the weather forecast, my flowers have about 28 hours until our first hard freeze. Rats. I’m not opposed to autumn, or even winter for that matter. Both seasons certainly have their charms. It’s just that they’re so flowerless!

I could postpone the inevitable and resort to life support. I could unfold our 60-foot hay tarp, round up all the blankets and throws, and cover the flowers at night. Well, I’d still have the flowers for a while, but the yard would look trashy with the covers spread out all over it to dry.

Grief counselors say that funerals and memorial services provide much-needed closure. Hmm. A bagpiped Amazing Grace or bugled Taps would be nice, but I don’t have or play either. Actually, The Circle of Life would be much more appropriate, but I have no African drum or Lion King soundtrack.

I guess I’ll just have to mourn unceremoniously and alone (save for the honey- and bumblebees). No one in their right mind will think to send a card or drop off a casserole just because my flowers succumbed to hypothermia!

 
“I'll convert their weeping into laughter, lavishing comfort, invading their grief with joy.” –JEREMIAH 31:13

No comments:

Post a Comment