Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Travelers


The swallows, about 30 of them, left us about two weeks ago. I missed them lined up on the electric wires watching me garden or irrigate. I missed them swooping about the yard chasing their mosquito supper. I assumed they went south, now that fall is approaching.

But this morning as I sat on the back steps to take off my irrigation boots, I realized that I had an audience. There on their wiry bleachers sat the swallows! I think they’re the same ones that spent the summer here because there seemed to be about 30 in the bunch.

“Where have you guys been? Where do go in the winter?” I asked them. Swallows aren’t very forthcoming with information, however, so I still don’t know.  

Wouldn’t it be cool, I thought, if one day this winter I’d swipe the snow off the mailbox, reach in, and find a beachy postcard from the swallows. Having a nice time in Galveston, it might say. The Texas mosquitoes are bigger than Wyoming ones. We miss you. See you in May!

“God...corrects the misdirected, sends them in the right direction. He gives the rejects his hand, and leads them step-by-step.
From now on every road you travel will take you to God.” PSALM 25:8-10

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment