Monday, May 21, 2012

Hayseed Gardening Report


We planted the garden this weekend. It’s been a warmer-than-normal spring, so maybe we should have planted weeks ago like several neighbors did. On the other hand, we’ve had some frosts here and there, so perhaps we planted too soon. And I don’t have a Farmer’s Almanac, so I don’t know if the moon was right for sowing. There’s probably an ap for that, but my phone doesn’t do aps. It’s a military phone that will survive irrigation water and impacts of all kind, so I like it. I’m such a hayseed.

The perennials and self-sowing annuals are making good progress in the flower beds, but I’m planting some zinnias here and there anyway. Zinnias must be out-of-fashion because I had trouble finding any in the bedding plant aisles, but I say, zinnia’s long-lasting, vivid colors are hard to top. Come to think of it, I’ve never heard zinnias mentioned in poetry or song—maybe because nothing much rhymes with “zinnia”--nor have I seen them on china or fabric, so they must be considered terribly un-posh. Hayseed flowers, I guess!

The roses are just now beginning to bloom, so I’ve put in my deer repellers, which look like little flying saucers on sticks but are filled with blood meal and stuff that deer find distasteful. They’re not cheap, but cages and nets are so ugly. I almost tried some cheaper deer repellent that’s sprinkled around the plants, until I read the main ingredient: coyote urine. I’m not opposed to coyote urine, but our male cowdog, Bodie, would be compelled to cover the stuff with his own, much of which would probably kill the roses. Bodie’s a hayseed just like me!

“In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.” --JAMES 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment