Thursday, May 17, 2012

Commentary


“I hope it doesn’t rain.” The bearded man who said that was just making conversation with a young lady at the sandwich shop yesterday.  That guy doesn’t know how lucky he is that I didn’t express my distaste for his comment.

“Are you kidding me?!” I would have shouted, if only my folks hadn't repeatedly told me to mind my manners as a child. “Don’t you know we’re in a drought? Don’t you realize how hard we farmers, ranchers, and tree planters have to work when it doesn’t rain for months? Do you have any idea how much money, energy, time, and fossil fuels are spent on irrigation? Weren’t you paying attention in science class when they taught about the water and nitrogen cycles, ecosystems, and soil pH? Have you no compassion for all the un-irrigated trees, shrubs, and grasses which are struggling to survive? Haven’t you heard what happens to livestock and hay prices in a drought, let alone the welfare of the livestock and the livelihood of their owners? Don’t you care that I’m so busy irrigating that some mornings I actually find myself debating whether or not I have time to brush my teeth?”

For bait, I hung two loads of laundry to dry on the back fence today. So far, I’ve only managed to attract a dozen raindrops and some dusty wind!

 
“Watch your words and hold your tongue; you’ll save yourself a lot of grief.”
                                         --PROVERBS 21:23

No comments:

Post a Comment