Friday, May 23, 2014

Saving Gracie

It’s a good thing I was home yesterday afternoon so I heard the calf bawling. Thankfully, I found Gracie stuck upside down in a ditch before she suffocated. She’d been there a while because she was lying in a pool of urine and manure. Blood was running out her nose and panic was in her eyes, so time was running frighteningly short.

I got ropes around her thrashing legs but, of course, couldn’t budge her 1300 pounds. Mercifully, Cody, a friend who works for us on weekends, answered his phone and got here in time to help me (Hubby was three hours away) roll her out and up. Gracie is rather rotund, so we had to use the Ranger (UTV) to help defy gravity and save the cow.

Other friends, who had dropped what they were doing to rush over here to help, arrived shortly thereafter. I wanted to hug everyone but was too stinky, what with Gracie’s slime on my hands and shirt, not to mention my own sweat!

Ten minutes after the rescue, Gracie was still dazed but the blood had stopped running out her nose

Fifteen minutes later, Gracie was eating (her standard M.O.) and Gunder was nursing

“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.” –EPHESIANS 2:8 (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment