Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Songs, Honks, Shrieks

Lest I overload readers with cute calf photos, I’m tossing in a hodgepodge recent bird notes.

On a bitter, blustery day, I saw red-winged blackbirds take shelter in this brush. No one was singing!

For several weeks, the bald eagles have been refurbishing last year's nest (we don't get too close to the nest to disturb them--here, they were perching in a different tree). I've heard that the males are smaller than the females.

Sometimes, nearly 10 acres of  our hayfields are covered with Canada geese.

"Why do they all come here?" we'd been asking ourselves, until yesterday, when we saw four eagles attacking a goose in the vicinity of the eagle tree above. Answer: the trees here are further away, so the geese can see the eagles approaching.

This morning, the female was in the nest. The male, seen here close to the highway, was shrieking loudly until I approached. I don't know if the eagles were at odds with one another or if he was just excited about becoming a father again.

“For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.” –PSALM 63:7 (AMP)





No comments:

Post a Comment