Thursday, March 20, 2014

Oscar

Thrice in the past six days, Angel was deemed to be calving and put in the barn, only to be found eating or chewing her cud (a cow does neither when she’s close to calving) at the next check. After last night’s evening check, I was foolish enough to predict a calf by midnight.

Hubby did the midnight stint and reported that Angel was hungrily munching hay. So we slept tight until I checked her at 4:30. There she was, standing beside a newborn calf! Calving is a humbling sport.

Angel’s little bull has a hint of the sky in his eyes, just like his older half-sister, Wings. For someone that’s only hours old, Oscar is quite a showboat. Most newborn calves will hop or buck a few times, but Oscar performs for five or ten minutes at a time.

Five-hours old, nothing but a blur

A stumble barely slows him down
Usually when I get ready to put a calf outside, I wonder if it's ready for the world. But this morning, I wondered if the world was ready for Oscar!


“Sky and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.” –MATTHEW 24:35 (AMP)



No comments:

Post a Comment