Monday, December 2, 2013

Wonders

I happened upon the little band of Sheep Mountain mustangs again! This time they weren’t running but rather drowsily soaking up some warmer-than-usual sunshine, so I was able to get a better look. I couldn’t help but notice some Roman noses, steep croups, and cow-hocks.

When I was young, I thought all horses were amazing and wonderful—no matter their breed or conformation. But then I joined 4-H and learned to “judge horses”, to identify the subtle shortcomings that diminished an animal’s worth or usefulness. What the less-informed called “beautiful”, I dubbed ewe-necked, straight-shouldered, narrow-chested, or apple-butted.

Over the years, horse judging gave me knowledge, analytical skills, and a state trophy (just as growing up taught me what’s wrong with dandelions, crayon art, store Santas, white bread, and the girl in the mirror). But the more I learned to look with a critical eye, the more blinded to wonders I became. 

Band of wild horses seen last Friday near Sheep Mtn. (north of Greybull)

Hubby saw these mustang colts today (in the hills east of Greybull) 

“…The best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.” –PHILIPPIANS 4:8 (MSG) 

No comments:

Post a Comment