Thursday, August 2, 2012

How Do They Do It?


Our satellite provider gave us a trial weekend of a vintage movie package for free. Hubby watched several old westerns, so I caught glimpses of quite a few Stetsoned heroes. But it was the heroines that struck me as remarkable. They ride all day, run from and shoot bad guys, sleep under the stars on a saddle blanket, and then wake up looking both clean and glamorous. (I think they made longer-lasting, more resilient hairspray and makeup back then.)

I don’t know what I wake up looking like because I have a strict rule: no looking in the mirror until after several cups of coffee. Even then, I find that it helps to keep my glasses off.

Within a few hours of life on the ranch, I’m a mess. I’m either dusty or muddy—or both. My hair soon loses all shine, volume, and control. I may smell of manure or mosquito repellent, and the integrity of my deodorant may be compromised. My favorite work clothes have stains, holes, and ragged hems. Although my “natural beauty” could stand a great deal of enhancement, I only put on makeup if we have company or are going to town.

Oh, well. At least my flowers always look and smell glamorous!



 
“Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul....Who beautifies, dignifies, and crowns you with loving-kindness and tender mercy.” –PSALM 103:2,4



No comments:

Post a Comment