Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Nonconformity

When it comes to cattle, Wyoming is a black state. Known for their hardiness and palatability, Black Angus populate the vast majority of farms, fields, and feedlots.

Roughly 55% of our small herd are black baldies (meaning they're black with white facial markings). Since we used Hereford bulls last year, that percentage will increase dramatically by the time calving season is over. (We should even see a few red baldies thrown into the mix.)

Hubby is something of a Black Angus snob, but even he admits that our Hereford-cross cows (and especially Hereford bulls) are far more good-humored than most Angus. 

I'm all for docility myself, but the artist in me adores the remarkable variation of pattern and contrast in baldy cattle. Brand me a nonconformist. 

                        
                     
            
"In such a diversity it was impossible I should be disposed to melancholy." ~Daniel Boone







No comments:

Post a Comment