Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bluebirds of a Feather

When my parents named me Robin, I'm sure they couldn't foresee the avian-related nicknames that I'd earn from other kids. Even my best friend's dad, a most likable fellow whose sense of humor was influenced by his choice of beverages, regularly called me Bluebird.  

Despite my name and monikers, I had eyes only for horses back then. It took birds quite a while to catch my notice. Now, although I know little about my winged relatives, I'm quite a fan--especially of mountain bluebirds. 

Yesterday's unusual (for this area and time of year) sighting of mountain bluebirds set my heart soaring. My phone camera does little justice to these little beauties, but this was the first time I've ever been able to capture one--well, three-fourths of one--in flight. 


"Suddenly, as rare things will, it vanished." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment