Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Merry Up

“I don’t feel like decorating for Christmas this year,” I remarked to Hubby the other day. His response was immediate: “Are you sick?”

Usually I can hardly wait to haul up the boxes labeled Xmas, dig out my treasures, and spruce up the place into holiday shape. Most years, I even start decorating before Thanksgiving! But this year, son Zach is a world away in India, and it will be my first Christmas in 19 years without him. Heavy-hearted, I kept thinking Zach’s not going to be here, and no family is coming, so who cares? and I’m too down in the dumps to do this, so why bother? (I didn’t realize it, but I’d pretty much thunk myself into a funk!)

Well, Hubby helped me carry the boxes up, and eventually I began to drag out a wreath here and a sleigh there, but I couldn’t muster any of my usual enthusiasm. Decorating had become drudgery instead of delight.

Early this morning, while taking my first sips of coffee and watching the Weather Channel with Hubby, a thought entered my groggy brain: What if you decorated more instead of less? Huh?

I looked around the living room, and my eyes rested on a sampler I’d stitched that reads: “The joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10.” Then I noticed the lone wreath hanging on the wall; it had a little sign on it that says “Joy to the World”. And I remembered that one of Jesus’ names is Immanuel (God-With-Us). Robin, do you believe what you profess to believe?

“Yes, I do!” I replied in my journal. “God is here, joy is here! And wherever Zach is, God is with him too.” Something that felt like light and warmth immediately lifted the cold heaviness that I’d allowed to seep into my soul. I could hardly wait to get my house and cow duties over with so I could resume decking the halls!

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing.” ROMANS 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment