Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Sleeper

Sugar is of cutting horse descent, but since environment trumps heredity, she's just a garden variety horse. She's 13 years old, with an iffy stifle, problematic hooves, and a twice-injured knee. When she feels good, Sugar teaches youngsters to ride or helps me mosey behind our lazy cows. 

Imagine my surprise when a heifer turned the wrong way and Sugar made a classic drop and sweep cutting move that had me grabbing the saddle horn. Said heifer was promptly dispatched into the alleyway. I was glad that Hubby saw it because he wouldn't have believed me.

I've heard it said that horses don't respond to verbal praise, but Sugar seemed quite happy to accept our acclaim. 

As the day heated and the cattle slowed, I wondered if Sugar's latent cutting talent would ever resurface. It did. I dare say she loved it and couldn't wait to get a chance to do it again. 

I love my comfortable old saddle, but if I want to stay aboard my new cutting horse, I'm going to need a deeper-seated, sueded cutting saddle. (I wonder if those come with seat belts.)






"If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be." ~Maya Angelou 


No comments:

Post a Comment